Sunday, 10 May 2015

Lillibulero

Hello again!
For more than a year now, I've been listening to and loving the music of Bellowhead, an amazingly talented group of musicians who blend folk, rock, jazz and all manner of other musical styles into something truly new and utterly captivating. I had the privilege of seeing them perform live at the end of last month, and it was one of the best , and most unforgettable experiences in my life.
One of my favourite Bellowhead songs comes from their album 'Broadside', and is called 'Lillibulero'. In the song, the Devil comes up to Earth to steal a farmer's wife. He takes her down to Hell, but is much more trouble than he bargained for. Soon, she's laying waste to all the little devils, 'bashing their brains out with a stick'. The devil quickly decides to take her back up to Earth, declaring to the farmer: "I've been the Devil the whole of my life, but I never knew Hell until I met your wife!".
Here is an illustration of the mighty farmer's wife, showing the devils what for.



No comments: