Friday, 1 March 2013

Wonder Woman Redesign

Hey there all!
Well the weekend is here, but I'm still busy busy busy. Just about finished two lesson plans for next week and decided to take a break. I noticed that Project Rooftop have just opened up for another Fan-art Friday submission-fest (this time on Wonder Woman) so I thought I'd try and come up with something.
I'm one of those people who would like to see Diana more as an Amazon than a pin-up, and wear effective armour rather than a swimsuit-cum-bracelets. Generally speaking I've always felt her costume was not only ridiculous, but was pretty much as far removed as possible from her origin backstory. The cut of the outfit, the colours, the giant 'WW' emblem... I hate all of it. None of it ever screamed 'Ancient Greek Warrior Princess' to me. So, with this redesign, I try to rectify this.

First thing: yes, I gave her trousers (or pants if you're a weird, backwards American). I found this image, depicting an Amazon warrior, and modelled this outfit on that. 
And yes, I got rid of the Ws. Why would an Amazon warrior, who probably uses the greek alphabet, have a great big W plastered over her chest? Unless it was a lower case omega, the only way to explain it is with some weird 'Superman's S is the House of El crest' rationalising. I wanted to avoid both, so stuck to the star motif. I tried to give her a more athletic and less busty build, and reduced the blue in the design to a bare minimum (it's really just a light hue on the white skirt). I left the golden rope, which I don't envision as a dorky lasso, but more of an extra accessory which she can use on its own or combined with the spear in a number of ways. 
I wanted her to look strong, but not bloodthirsty: she's brave, fiercely proud of her heritage and full of love for her people. Hopefully that comes across :)

That's all :) All comments welcome.
TF


6 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Definitely much more realistic!

Thomas Fummo said...

Thanks :) I hope the P:R guys like it.

Stephen Spain said...

Right on design is on point

Stephen Spain said...

Right on design is on point

timpu. said...

Great design, mate.
Wonderfully done.
Cheers.

Thomas Fummo said...

Thanks very much, Timpu :) And thanks for stopping by!