Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Capn' 'Murica!

Here's the next Avenger in my redesigned line-up: Captain America!
Now I have done a Cap redesign before, for a previous P:R fan-art friday. But as I'm doing an Avengers team redesign, and I can't imagine the team without some form of Cap in it, I thought I'd revisit it and tweak it.


Here again, I'm focusing on one core element of the character: in this case, Cap as a patriotic symbol.
I wanted him to be more of a faceless national mascot: let's say in my continuity Steve survived being frozen for 70 odd years, but was horribly disfigured as a result. He's either really scarred or literally rotting away, depending on your own creepy imaginations. Thus the full face mask. He's not really a person anymore, but more like a living flag or crest: I removed the 'A' and tried to make his costume look as much like he's wrapped in the star-spangled banner as possible.
Plus, I figured the 'heroic on the outside, scarred on the inside' angle might work well as a metaphor on any form of nationalism/patriotism: it looks grand and makes you feel nice, but often hides something dark and scary just below the surface.

So there you have it! All feedback welcome.
Thanks for reading,
TF

No comments: