Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Robot Emperor!

ROBOT EMPEROR! (Norton Whately)

Before I do the introduction, let me first say that this was the best I could do. This character was probably the weirdest and most challenging commision I have ever recieved and after about thirty futile attempts I said 'fuck it', I'll do what I can do.
Here, in his own words, is The Hat's awesome description:


>Emperor Joshua Norton I, his Imperial Majesty and Protector of Mexico was cloned in a secret base in Northern Canada, and the clone was shipped to a World Newton/ League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic, not movie) type universe, where, falling victim to the meddlings of a certain Alphonse Moreau, merges with a young Wilbur Whately in the 1870's. Using Whately's magic, he botchs a spell, and ends up in the future of a parallel universe, where he was not Emperor, merely humored by the people around him. He quickly became one of the best magic-users on this plane of existance. He fights apocalyptic threats to humanity, which includes The martians from War Of The Worlds, Every Damn thing H.P. Lovecraft has ever written about, Galactus and others. In addition to his spells, he has a swordcane.
After a fight with The Martians from War of the Worlds, Norton/Whately's body was half destroyed, so grateful Martians from Mars Attacks turns him into a cyborg. Normally the Martians would have killed me, but he saved thier planet, which is cause for gratitude, I think. This is essental, and awesome, for the super-person. Not really a Hero or Villian, his allegiance changes based on who he thinks is the moral person in the conflict, which from time to time puts him into conflict w/ the superheros. Maybe more good than evil though. He still dresses like Joshua Norton. He also keeps attack bees under his hat.

Well, as you can see, I kept the magical powers, cyborg face and attack bees. Forgot about swordcane and have no idea who Joshua Norton is. Too tired/lazy to look up on google. Please forgive?

8 comments:

Mr. Popular said...

But of course he has a sword-cane.

Sea_of_Green said...

I dunno -- All things considered, he does look pretty cool!

Bobby Chiu said...

looks great to me!

TF said...

Well, I'm glad you like it.
You've put my mind at rest, at least :-D

The Hat said...

That is the best thing I've seen all day. I apologize sincerely about the difficulty of drawing it, but It is supremely excellent. Although you should know who Joshua Norton is.

Thanks Man

The Hat said...

You remembered the attack bees, and thats what counts.

FoldedSoup said...

Don't kid yourself, that's fantastic!

The extra "skitchy" bits (lightning, dirty old clothes, bees) really work well with your style. Keep it busy looking!

That's just a downright great character design!

TF said...

Thanks everyone.
I was just a little depressed yesterday. Felt a bit uninspired after the Hat's portrait.
I'm really happy you like it Hat, and there's really no need to apologise.
Great to see you up and bloggin' again, too :-)